Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I will heal you through each other


Healing is not confined to extraordinary charismatic leaders. There is a normative low-key healing always at work in the body of Christ. This operates as an interactive process among the members of a praying group. Expectant faith and unwavering hope can make wonderful things happen. While we thank God for the highly graced ones in the healing ministry we must not, in our rush to meet the stars, miss the flowers beneath our feet.

Apart from actual prayer sessions, listening to a friend in trouble, being available at the other end of a phone, cooking meals, caring for sick children or aged parents, co-operating graciously with those in the office or workshop, - these are important elements in the whole healing structure.

When one thinks of the hurt done by harsh words, anger, pride, arrogance and lack of forgiveness, then it becomes obvious that their opposites, love, kindness and consideration, are basic to the ministry of healing. How many ulcers, headaches, heart-aches and sheer mental torture and sexual pain could be avoided if people would just be loving towards each other. I don't have to wait for some great character to come to town . Healing begins with me! It is in my heart and in my hands! The Lord says: “I will heal you through each other.”


Lord Jesus, in your love I was created.
Every breath I take, every morning I wake,
and every moment of every hour,
I live under your power.
Fill me with the healing power of your love.
Cast out anything that should not be in me.
Mend what is broken.

Let the warmth of your healing love
pass through my body, soul and spirit,
to make new any unhealthy areas
Restore me to full health,
in mind and body soul and spirit,
and lead me into the ways of stillness and peace.

Adapted from a prayer by Fr.Larry Hess

No comments: