Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Secret of Meditation


Our Lady gave an interesting instruction to the Children of Fatima-- one that is often overlooked: She said: Learn to read and then I’ll tell you what else I want. Implicit in that statement is a call to read the Scriptures, the living word of God. One of the great sources of the divine healing is the life-giving word of God. Take one of the quotations below and ponder it in your heart. You could spend the whole time of prayer, simply turning one of these sacred words or phrases over in the silence of your heart. This is the secret of meditation.

Perfect love casts out fear. 1 Jo.4:18

Abide in my love Jo.15,10

Those who love me... my Father will love them
and we will come to them
and make our home with them. Jo.14,23

Know that I am with you always:
yes, even to the end of time. Mat. 28.20

With God all things are possible. Mk. 10:27

Cast all your care upon Him,
for he cares for you. 1 Pet. 5: 7

Come to me, all you who labour
and are heavy laden
and I will give you rest. Mat.11 :28

Behold the handmaid of the Lord.
Be it done unto me
according to your word. Lk.1.38

My heart is not proud, O Lord,
my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters
or things too wonderful for me.

But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
like a weaned child with its mother,
like a weaned child is my soul within me.

O Israel, put your hope in the Lord
both now and for evermore. Ps.131

No comments: